Harris County Sexual Assault Defense
Arrested? Call Houston Sexual Assault Defense Attorney James Sullivan at (281) 546-6428.
- In Texas, for purposes of the Sexual Assault of a Child and Indecency with a Child crimes, a child does not become an adult until age 17. For other sexual-related offenses, including Possession of Child Pornography and Sexual Performance of a Child, the age of an adult is 18 years.
- In Texas, it is not a defense that the accused did not know the child's real age. So, the alleged victim could have lied about her age to the accused and the accused will still face criminal charges.
- The alleged victim cannot legally consent to sexual relations unless the alleged victim is 14 years of age or older and there is only a 3 year or less difference between the ages of the alleged victim and the accused.
- In Texas, only one eye-witness, the alleged victim, is sufficient for conviction, so long as the jury believes the alleged victim beyond a reasonable doubt.
- In Texas, neither genital trauma nor DNA evidence is required for a conviction.
- In Texas, voluntary intoxication is not a defense. So, if the accused goes to a party, gets drunk and sleeps with an underage girl, he cannot use his intoxication as a defense to the crime of Sexual Assault of a Child.
- In Texas, each separate sexual act can be separately charged within one indictment and, if there is a conviction, each Count can be stacked or served consecutively.
Houston Sex Crimes Lawyer James Sullivan Fights Cases at the Grand Jury Level
|DATE||CASE #||CT #||TEXAS CRIMINAL OFFENSE||ACTUAL RESULT|
|04/19/12||1332791||185th||SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A CHILD (2° Felony)||NO BILLED BY GRAND JURY (Client accused of having consensual sex with underage girl he met on online after she falsely claimed that she was 18)|
|12/03/10||1283460||232nd||SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A CHILD (2° Felony)||NO BILLED BY GRAND JURY (Client accused of consensual sex with underage female)|
|08/24/10||1264919||232ND||SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A CHILD (2° Felony)||NO BILLED BY GRAND JURY (Client accused of consensual sex with underage female)|
|04/28/10||1220515||179TH||SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A CHILD (2° Felony)||DISMISSED BY STATE PRIOR TO TRIAL SETTING (Client accused of committing sexual assault against a young relative)|
|11/23/09||1231727||179TH||SEXUAL ASSAULT OF A CHILD (2° Felony)||NO BILLED BY GRAND JURY (Client accused of consensual sex with underage female)|